What is the Fulbright Foreign Student Programme?
The Fulbright Program is one of the main academic exchange programmes for graduate students sponsored by the US government. It has been been creating links between the US and other countries since it was established in 1946.
Approximately 8,000 graduate students, teachers and academic professionals are accepted into the programme each year, usually then referred to as “Fulbrighters”. Students are selected based on merit and academic performance.
What is included in the Fulbright Foreign Student Program?
Successful recipients will receive:
- Tuition and fees to cover their graduate studies in the US
- Allowances for books, equipment and travel during their studies
- A monthly stipend to cover accommodation and meals
- Health and accident insurance coverage
- Access to the Fulbright enrichment programmes
Who is eligible for the Fulbright Foreign Student Program?
Students are eligible to apply if they:
- Come from an eligible country (full list found here)
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Can demonstrate a strong academic background
- Are proficient in English or can attend long-term English programmes before the programme begins
Students with little to no experience studying or living in the US are given preference, and people with all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. US citizens or students holding a green card are not able to apply, however.
You can apply from most fields, including humanities, social sciences, technology, engineering and science. Students wishing to pursue clinical studies (such as nursing or medicine) are not eligible to apply.
How do I apply for the Fulbright Foreign Student Programme?
Students can apply to the programme here.
All applications and documentation must be sent online and must include:
- Academic transcripts
- IELTS or TOEFL scores
- A detailed CV including all education and work experience
- Three reference letters, one each from a professional, a personal and an academic contact (written in English)
- A personal statement (up to 600 words, written in English)
- A study or research essay related to your field of study (written in English)
The submission deadline for applications is 31 March 2023.
The US government has opened the Fulbright Foreign Student Program competition for 2024-2025, which covers funding for two academic years for graduate studies in America from August 2024